Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Week 7: Learning Autonomously


Learner Autonomy is one my favorite topic when it comes to teaching; I truly believe it plays an essential role in the acquisition of the L2. The best way we could foster Learner Autonomy is in a student-centered class, as we all may know, in  student-centered class is not a place where the students decide what they want to learn and what they what to do. It is a place where we consider the needs of the students, as individuals and as a group and encourage them to participate in the learning process all the time, the role of the teacher should be a facilitators and not an instructor and just guide or help students while they participate in the learning process actively, let us not get confused with the “teacher”. To me, being a teacher means helping students to learn, manage their activities and direct their learning. In the student-centered class the teacher becomes just another member of the class.
I enjoyed reading the article by Dimitrios Thanasoulas, especially the part where he mentions “ To posit ways of fostering learner autonomy is certainly to posit ways of fostering teacher autonomy” as well as the Samuel P-H Sheu article, I love the phrase “a bird-in-the-bush rather than a bird-in-the-hand” the way I can interpret this is  that if we do not help ourselves learn, they might not do it or maybe yes but not the way we want to. I usually tell my students that they go to class to pick ideas, information, guides and ways to learn.
I will keep telling my students that the best way to learn English in being curious with the language, autonomous and not depending on the teacher all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Javier,
    I like that quote as well. I believe that a bird in the bush is better because it should be on the bush where it feels comfortable and free, while being in the hand would make it like a prisoner or controlled. The same thing for learners, controlling them to learn the way we want them to learn is like forcing them to eat something we like, which they may not have the same passion for.

    Hala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Javier,

    It was difficult to post my comment in your blog. Sorry because I posted in a wrong place my opinion about your reflection blog for this week.

    You are right when you say that "the role of the teacher should be a facilitators and not an instructor and just guide or help students while they participate in the learning process actively" because as teachers the challenge is make our students autonomous and independent in lerning. It creates an environment for learners performance by themselves.

    Regards,

    Genny.

    ReplyDelete