Friday, August 26, 2011

Week 10:Emailing and texting (Extra Post)

Emailing and texting

Emails are usually shorter and more informal than letters and people sometimes use abbreviations and ‘smileys’ in them. Smileys (also called ‘emoticons’) are images which look like faces when you see them from the side. They are made using keyboard symbols and are used to express emotions. Text messages are even shorter and more informal and usually use abbreviations.
Here are some frequently used smileys and abbreviations:
Smileys
:-) I’m happy or smiling
:-( I’m unhappy or angry
:-D I’m laughing
>:-( I’m very angry
:-| I’m bored
:-o I’m surprised or shouting
:-@ I’m screaming
:-* I’m sending you a kiss
;-) I’m only joking
:-p I’m smirking (= smiling in an unpleasant or unkind way)
:-b I’m sticking my tongue out at you
Abbreviations
AFAIK as far as I know
IMHO in my humble opinion
AFK away from keyboard
 IOU I owe you
ASAP as soon as possible
 JIT just in time
BAK back at keyboard
LOL lots of love
BCNU be seeing you
L8R later
BF boyfriend
 MSG message
B4 before
OIC oh, I see
B4N bye for now
OTOH on the other hand
BRB be right back
PDQ pretty damn quick
BTW by the way
PLS please
C see R are
CU See you!
 SPK speak
CUL8R See you later!
TAFN that’s all for now
FWIW for what it's worth
THX thanks
FYA for your amusement
TIA thanks in advance
FYI for your information
2DAY today
GF girlfriend
2MORO tomorrow
GR8 great
2NITE tonight
GSOH good sense of humour
TTFN ta-ta for now (= goodbye)
GTG got to go U you
ILU I love you WAN2 want to
IMO in my opinion WKND weekend

1 comment:

  1. Javier

    Thanks for a wonderful class. I truly enjoyed working with you, and I know you have many great ideas to bring to the tech revolution in English teaching.

    Best,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete